One thing I've noticed is we really don't seem to get any time off from school. :( The official semester ended in May, but since then we've been busy getting ready for residency. What, for example, have I been doing while "off"?
- (re)read the Common Genre Reading novel Changes by Jim Butcher for our first session of residency. Incidentally, I enjoyed it so much, I've been rereading all the Dresden Files novels in the past couple weeks. Wow, they're good.
- made a handout, including discussion questions and powerpoint presentation, with two other students for the entire program for the first residency session
- prepared my lesson plan and handouts for my student teaching session. I will be teaching "How to Write a Query Letter."
- wrote a new short story and submitted it for our workshop sessions
- contacted my unofficial mentee (Hi, Kaelyn!) and welcomed her to the program
- contacted my new critique partners (Hi, Jennifer and Kristina!) and said hi
- critiqued 7 stories or chapters for workshop sessions (Okay, I'm not done with this yet, but I'm working on it!)
- wrote a new draft of my thesis novel chapter one for our "Practice Reading Aloud" workshop session
- and, of course, made or finalized all the travel arrangements
Phew! I'm a little tuckered out and residency hasn't even started yet.
Stay tuned this week for more info about Residency.