Tuesday, June 28, 2011

revision: a watch list

I got some good advice about revision recently: create a watch list. What is a watch list in this context, you ask? Well, I'll tell you. :) A watch list is where an author examines his/her work and makes a note of their own common mistakes or repeats, writes them down, and then corrects them during the revision process. For example, my characters seem to smile or grin several times a page. Logically I know it's a bad idea to repeat actions on the same page, but when I go back and look: there they are. During revision, then, I need to get rid of most of those. As another example, I have a critique partner who always uses waive instead of wave. (Of course, spell-check doesn't catch this!)

How about you? Do you have anything you need to watch out for?

Do you have any revision tips?

2 comments:

  1. I love the word pummel. Everything pummels. Tears pummels. Bodies pummel. We all pummel down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, shelly. It's funny how we all have our favorites! :)

    ReplyDelete