Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Quotes from Writers

I'm neck-deep, no eye-deep, no top-of-the-head-deep in revisions. :(
So, for today, I thought I'd share some quotes from writers:
  • "Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can see only as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way."--E.L. Doctorow
  • "Art is not a handicraft. It is the transmission of a feeling which the artist has experienced."--Leo Tolstoy
  • "Read, read, read. Read everything—trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the most. Read! You'll absorb it. Then write. If it is good, you'll find out. If it's not, throw it out the window."--William Faulkner
  • "I write as straight as I can, just as I walk as straight as I can, because that is the best way to get there."--H.G. Wells
  • "There are no laws for the novel. There never have been, nor can there ever be."--Doris Lessing
  • "For a creative writer possession of the "truth" is less important than emotional sincerity." --George Orwell

Urban Fantasy author Karen Duvall has some of her favorite writerly quotes posted today.

We could go on quoting for quite a while, so I'll leave you with:

"He is able who thinks he is able." --Buddha

How about you? What are your favorite writerly quotes?

3 comments: