Friday, September 23, 2011

all hail the muse

Recently, I went back to a project that's been on the back burner. This is not a project that had been going well. I think I've been working on it part time for two years. Ugh. :( The plot wasn't working and I had to backtrack twice and throw chapters out. I had hit on the idea of introducing a new pov character that seemed promising...

So, anyway, this week I forced myself to sit down and work on it (even though I didn't want to). Imagine my surprise when this time it's coming together beautifully! I'm thinking of all kinds of neat plot twists and fun supporting characters.

What can I say but: All Hail the Muse!

What can I take away from this? I'll tell you what worked for me.

  1. I discovered there's really only one physical location where I seem to be able to write a lot. This is somewhat illogical on my part, but there it is. I need to quit fighting it, and accept it. So, I need to use my limited time in this space very carefully. I need to turn off all distractions and just write. So, one reason it works is minimal distractions. Another reason it works: the physical setup of the computer keyboard and screen are very comfortable.
  2. I need to write regularly here--like every day--even when I don't want to.
  3. I need to think about the story/brainstorm when I'm not using precious writing time. For me, when I'm commuting to and from my day job seems to be a good time. (And I need to jot down ideas so I don't forget them!)

Hopefully, the muse will stick around for a while.

How about you? Do you have any tips for enticing the muse?

2 comments:

  1. Same place, same time. Same ritual. Everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like I'm on the right track! Thanks, shelly! :)

    ReplyDelete